October 28, 2014

M.I.A

I'm finding that each blog post recently has began with the words, sorry, university and busy.

And to be completely honest, it makes me kind of ashamed. I feel like I should be making more time to blog and to share my work. It also makes me feel like I've disappointed all of you loyal followers out there. I know too well how annoying/frustrating it is when my favourite reads don't update for ages.

The truth is that is is really hard to balance my course work, part time job and photography business. On days where I have nothing planned, I find myself lying in bed 90% of the time, napping for most of the day and binge watching Modern Family or Bob's Burgers. During the other 10% I'm at the gym or out for a run, which keeps me from going totally bananas.

I flew over to Perth, WA last month to take care of my mother and my elderly grandmother. My mum broker her leg whilst on holiday with my Grandma over there. I spent three weeks in and out of hospital, bed hopping to and fro between friends and family and a few days enjoying myself. When I came back during the second week of this month, the last thing I wanted to do was finish my final assignments. I had gotten extensions for all of my essays but I was just hoping that everything would just disappear. After being a full time carer for three weeks, the last thing I wanted to do was sit down and write something that I felt no where near qualified to do so. I was four weeks behind university and feeling pretty pessimistic about life.

I finished last Friday and since then I can't really tell you what I've actually been doing. Everything has been passing by in a blur. All I can remember is spending hours upon hours washing dishes at work, watching Hannibal and reading Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham.

So now I'm on holidays until March next year which gives me lots of time to work on personal projects and photo shoots I've had planned literally for months so hopefully this place will become more active very soon! Until then, I'm going on a holiday to the middle of nowhere so I won't be updating this or any other spaces of mine until I get back on the 6th of November. So hang tight baby, because new content is coming soon!

And here's a cool gif of Squidward because you deserve it. 

August 19, 2014

Almost Forever by Minna Gilligan



(All hail our 70s psychadelic mafia lord, Minna!)

Chuffed is probably the apt word to use when Minna approached me last week to take some photographs of her and her exhibition at the Windsor Hotel. Almost Forever was the perfect installation, juxtaposing the grown up vibes from one of the fanciest hotels in Melbourne with the crudeness and multicoloured world of a teenage girl. It was almost comical, walking into a room that you expected to be sophisticated and classy only to find the inner contents of a girl's imagination vomited up onto every surface. The space had all sorts of really cool knick knacks and hot pink glitter lava lamps. It was kind of an embodiment of the vibes and aesthetics that Minna uses in her work which was super awesome to experience. It felt personal, as though I was inside her own oasis!

We messed around for about an hour playing with the sparkly tassels hanging around the room and jumping on the bed (me trying to awkwardly not hit my head on the chandelier). It was so lovely to work on a professional level with Minna! It was also equally as fun to photograph in a curated space that was so atmospheric and different to what I'm normally used to shooting in. Photographing in a hotel room has surprisingly many challenges but luckily I was able to use the yellowed light to my advantage! 

Thank you so much to Minna for trusting and believing in my work, let's create something together again soon, okay?! :)

You can see Minna's work here and also on Rookie Mag!

August 12, 2014

C J S



Paul and I took a little trip up to Wangaratta over the winter holidays to hopefully catch some snow and meet up with family. I ended up organising a photo shoot with my gorgeous high school friend Cassy! She's just started getting into modelling and I can't wait to see how she progresses with her new little venture (I also can't wait to work with her again very soon!).